- Inverse Finance has around bb-e-usd representing around $300,000 of the around $320,000 in liquid value still held in bb-e-usd and rightfully owned by remaining bb-e-usd holders. The inverse bb-e-usd is in a contract that will not allow them to withdraw using methods so far provided.
- bb-e-usd and other linear pools will unpause on June 8th as the grace period on the pause window comes to an end. This will allow arbitrageurs to drain remaining value from the pool.
- This BIP is a actions a plan to unpause the pools early, and run the arbitrage.
- Once the exact amount recovered is known, another BIP will be brought forward to proportionally distribute the recovered funds to remaining bb-e-usd holders as of the block of the Arbitrage.
- After this point, bb-e-usd burns will render a value of almost 0 and will in no case be worth the gas.
- Special thanks to TempleDAO for providing the eDAI and eUSDC required to run this process.
As initially described in this RFC. There is still a significant amount of value left in bb-e-usd, a vast majority of which belongs to Inverse Finance.
Since the time of the RFC posted above, The Balancer Maxis have spent time working with TempleDAO, Euler, and Inverse to ensure that all required conditions are met on-chain to run the arb. Euler patched a contract, Temple sent eTokens to the Balancer DAO Multisig.
The PoC has been improved to use a smart contract, deployed here. This removes most of the issues that could occur between the time the payload was generated and the time the transaction is executed(about a week for governance).
Since the RFC, it was also decided that it would be safer/better not to try to atomically distribute the proceeds from the arbitrage in the same transaction as the arbitrage itself, and instead to do a second BIP/execute at a later date.
If this BIP is passed, the attached payload will be executed as soon as possible.
It takes the following steps:
- Grants unpause permissions to Euler Linear Pools to the DAO Multisig.
- Unpauses bb-e-usdc and bb-e-dai
- Internally transfers all of the eDAI and eUSDC in the DAO Multisig to the helper contract
- calls the do_arb function on the smart contract in order to activate the arbitrage
- Removes pause rights from the DAO multisig.
The Pause window is now in a grace period, so it is not possible to repause the pools. Following execution of this BIP bb-e-usdc, bb-e-dai will be in an unpaused state.
The payload provided is slightly sensitive to changes in market conditions. As such there is a dust factor. This changes the amount of funds left in the pool to handle paying fees for trading the “wrong direction” in an off balance linear pool. Note that these fees could only be collected by an arb who rebalanced the pool, which does not seem very possible/sensible so they should be considered lost value.
Inverse is clearly very concerned about recovering their coins. The Maxi’s therefore ask permission to recheck this payload before it is loaded on the DAO multisig, and in the event of a failed simulation, update the dust factors, currently set to [350,300] as required. No other changes to the payload will be made.
Following execution of this BIP, governance will be brought forward to distribute the proceeds, and internally transfer remaining eTokens back to the TempleDAO multisig.
Note that the payload and contract submitted have not been reviewed by anyone outside the Maxis. This BIP will not be executed until at least 1 review by a trusted and skilled engineers outside the Maxis is posted in response to this forum post. We welcome anyone interested to complete and post such a review. A request has been submitted to the Integrations Team to provide said review.
New Balancer pool types and contracts generally include a 90 day Pause window as part of the launch process. If Pause is called during this time, a 90 day grace period kicks in, after which point the pool automatically unpauses. The Euler linear pools had been deployed less than 90 days before the Euler exploit making the pause possible. Following the end of the pause window, pausing of the pool is no longer possible.
You can read more about pausing here:
Note that since this time, pause rights have moved from the blabs ops multisig to the Emergency SubDAO
A full list of current mainnet permissions can be found here: