[Proposal] Allowlist Aura Finance in Balancer VotingEscrow

Never been more excited about the future of Balancer than right now!

This takes everything to the next level

7 Likes

This is the way
Hope it passes

3 Likes

Nice… Balancer’s can certainly use a battle tested logic lego.

3 Likes

Glad to see our old friend, 0xMaki, here. :wave:
As this is fair launch, no VC, built on Balancer, and lead by famous and experienced DeFi developer.

I truly support this proposal and wish it could pass.

5 Likes

Excited about this proposal as a mechanism to help strengthen the Balancer ecosystem! Thanks @0xMaki :muscle:

2 Likes

Very excited to see this proposal!

One thing that does raise some concerns for me is this passage:

It is proposed that the Balancer multisig add a smart wallet checker on the veBAL contract, and subsequently whitelist the depositor contract provided by Aura Finance following a successful proposal. The Balancer team would manually review this contract before whitelisting.

This may not be the intention but I’d like to caution against bringing a Snapshot vote for making additions to the allowlist before the relevant contracts have been open sourced and deployed. Many BAL holders will be very excited for protocols such as Aura to be built on top of Balancer but we must make sure they all get proper scrutiny before being approved by governance.

Aura-like systems will have huge impacts on the Balancer ecosystem (just as Convex has a large impact on Curve) and so it’s the responsibility of the entire Balancer community to carefully weigh up the results of granting a particular protocol the power to lock veBAL.

While the Balancer Labs team can advise on potential security/technical issues or ways to improve forwards compatibility with Balancer’s roadmap, I don’t think it’s right for us to be the only community members to be responsible (or able) to scrutinise a concrete implementation of Aura or any similar protocol. Balancer governance should make it’s decision when it is in full possession of the facts on what it’s voting on.

Not to mention reliance solely on the Balancer Labs team potentially puts us in the awkward position of having to push back against a completed governance vote after the fact if irreconcilable issues with the code arise.

We have good precedent in the case of Curve that additions to the allowlist should only be put to a vote after the contracts are deployed:

15 Likes

I am excited about this proposal!

I would agree with @TomFrench that it would be right not to create a dependency around Balancer Labs if we can resolve that, I’m 100% in favor.

4 Likes

I’d echo the sentiment of others before me, super excited to see this proposal. Introducing these additional layers on top of veBAL is great to see and having it come together so quickly after the launch of veBAL is awesome. Adding building blocks such as this to the Balancer ecosystem will add rocket fuel to BALbattles.

4 Likes

yess Maki THIS IS THE WHEY

3 Likes

Very cool, let . This . Paaaass

2 Likes

Yes! Very excited about this proposal! Hope it passes :+1:

1 Like

Vooote yes to @0xMaki

1 Like

Supporting this proposal is a no-brainer.

@0xMaki needs no recommendations and has repeatedly demonstrated his ability to execute and deliver.

Also, huge shout-out to the Balancer team and community. I enjoyed every minute I have spend on their Discord.

4 Likes

Vote yes. Wgmi tyvm🤝

1 Like

I support the Bal meta

2 Likes

The Aura team’s ability to deliver plus the depth of 0xMaki’s network and aligned partners (Layerzero, Redacted, etc.) will bring a great deal of value to the Balancer protocol.

Challenges going forward revolve around onboarding the right protocols to keep the flywheel going and establishing a clear communication plan to convey the advantages of the Balancer ecosystem over legacy models.

In short, I fully support this proposal and will be voting in favor when it moves to Snapshot and vote. I’d love to be a part of this adventure!

8 Likes

Excited to see this pass

Full support here! Excited to see this take off

Interesting one, the first take towards the bal war.

Thank you for your proposal, happy to see this being discussed.

I second Tom’s points, in particular:

If the smart contracts are not yet ready and the team needs funding to get them across the finish line, I would support some arrangement that provides the team with those funds, decoupling it from the allowlisting proposal. But for that we’d need to know more about the Aura team

Unless I’m missing something it looks like at this point all we have is a forum post from someone who claims to be 0xMaki, while Maki’s twitter profile makes no mention to this proposal or any affiliation with Aura. Aura’s twitter profile also isn’t of much help with respect to establishing the reputation of the team.

To make matters worse, this post has been “flooded” with supportive one-liner messages from first time posters who just joined the forum, which should always raise red flags.

Scams in this space are a dime a dozen, and the Balancer community must stay vigilant.

8 Likes