Blue recently came out of stealth on CoinDesk with its $3.2M seed round. We’ve been building an on/off-ramp solution that we believe would help drive liquidity to Balancer.
Our product allows users to access their fiat bank account on Balancer with just one click. This unlocks a user’s largest source of liquidity, making it available on Balancer through a stablecoin called USDCash. USDCash is an ERC20 token that is connected to a user’s bank account through Plaid and other 3rd party integrations. When a user purchases USDCash on-chain, there is a USD deduction from their fiat bank account. This eliminates the need to on-ramp through CEXs or providers like MoonPay or Transak that can typically carry hefty fees.
If a user wants to swap 500 DAI but does not have any DAI, they could click a simple call-to-action button on the Balancer application that allows them to instantly on-ramp 500 USDCash and atomically swap 500 USDCash for DAI. In the background, we’re capturing $500 USD from the user’s bank account via ACH transfer, minting them 500 USDCash (backed by the $500 USD ACH pull), then swapping USDCash for DAI in a USDCash/DAI pool.
Instant + Free
We’re using new technology on our backend that allows us to offer instant ACH transfers for the end user, making the on-ramp process instant. This differs from on-ramping providers today that rely on pre-funding and typically take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 days to capture USD payment. Additionally, we’re offering 0% fees for all on-ramps because we have an alternative source of revenue in the form of USD reserves that sit at a qualified custodian (a portion of reserves are invested in short-dated US Treasuries, similar to the business models of fiat-collateralized stablecoins). Below we have outlined how Blue compares to competitors.
- Balancer can drive more liquidity to the protocol by connecting user’s bank accounts to the application
- Users can on-ramp instantly with no fees
- First-time on-ramp requires a KYC/AML check & Plaid onboarding flow
- All on-ramps from fiat require 2FA authentication (irrespective of the amount)
- Uniswap recently made a similar integration with MoonPay (stats below on how we compare to other on-ramps)
- Our website is blue.fi - we have completed security audits with Halborn and Verilog and the implementation would be a JS SDK that has been audited with code available for inspection by anyone
|Fees|| 0% (cards)
| 4.5% (cards)
|Speed||Instant (ACH)||~30 mins (cards)
2-3 days (ACH)
| ~3 hours (cards)
2-3 days (ACH)
|Tokens||Any (via trade routing)||<100 tokens||<50 tokens|
What we’re asking for
We’re looking to integrate with Balancer as a widget in the top corner of the frontend (similar to Uniswap’s MoonPay integration) through a JS SDK. This will give users convenient, free, and instant access to their fiat bank account liquidity while on Balancer.