Gathering input for a first formal version of the Balancer Friendly Fork framework

Luuk, this is quite comprehensive. After a first read I would like to suggest the following ideas which BAL holders could find useful to make decisions on approval of Friendly forks.

From the objectives part:

Maintain active relationships with the Balancer Friendly Forks and increase/decrease mutual-stake based on key parameters

Parameters I would find useful for making informed decisions about a friendly fork.

• Expected governance power (voting) gained per BAL held
  • Expected governance power over FF protocol revenue
  • Expected cost for the Balancer DAO to get FF governance power ( dollar & FTE amounts )
  • Expected demand increase for BAL token

For the chain parameter you are looking to rate as part of this framework. I find the size of a chain a high level entry parameter. I feel including the market position the FF can realistically achieve also part of this (protocol revenue) for example.

While these are mostly financial metrics in my view they have the advantage that everyone understands them pretty universally.

I find it hard to estimate value accrual to the Balancer protocol based on guiding principles as “strategic alignment” and “synergies”. So I am very interested in how others would try to quantify this value accrual to the Balancer protocol.

I like what Mog and you wrote up so far. What do others think? What parameters can be used to help BAL holders approve friendly forks?

3 Likes