[BIP-XX] Karpatkey Balancer Treasury CU Proposal

Really appreciate the response.

There is really only a single strategy on here that earns yield and we could actually do right now is the Qi DAO strat, and that would require constant monitoring of the position to make sure we don’t get liquidated, which is the reason we have been hesitant to borrow/mint stables using BAL as collateral.
The closest thing we have tried to do in the past was the Fei Turbo Proposal, which had much better controls in place to avoid liquidation but unfortunately things happened prior to deployment into turbo :slight_smile:
Also, Qidao rewards are based off of how much you mint against your collateral which makes it a difficult choice since we have to straddle the line of capital efficiency and minimize liquidation risk. I would much prefer on chain risk minimization strategies when it comes to liquidations.

The other strategies I’m not a fan of either so to be honest I personally remain unconvinced that any of these strategies are worth it as most have been extensively discussed before. For example, we’ve done #1 with PrimeDAO in a d2d/bal pool and it just resulted in us eating IL since we were LP’ing into an unincentivized pool. I don’t see value in eating IL on our treasury tokens just to have some sort of price correlation between them.

I’m very skeptical of the talk about “coordinating with other daos” and am worried that simply means more token swaps, something many of us have been critical of in the past.
[Proposal] Freeze Treasury Swaps for 3 Months I suggest reading up on historical discussions around other token swaps. In my experience, treasury swaps are the laziest form of bizdev, and while there are scenarios where the make sense, they often serve as a mediocre means of “aligning incentives” between two decentralized protocols.

Can you more concisely outline what is included in this proposal and what isn’t? What exact actions should the DAO take should this proposal go through?

It’s important to point out that in the middle of this proposal is a request for over $1.3m worth of veBAL, which is about 5% of the liquid BAL in the treasury and 1% of all emissions. What are your specific intentions with this veBAL?

I remain unconvinced that this is worth committing to under the current conditions. Only one of the strategies involved actual yield and the ones regarding minting/borrowing stables against BAL has been thoroughly discussed and was decided against for various reasons. I personally don’t think we need to be paying management fees to do strategies we are reasonably capable on executing on ourselves.
I am perfectly fine paying these fees for strategies that clearly require the expertise of a team like Karpatkey to execute on, but I have yet to be convinced there are any.

I would encourage Karpatkey to independently propose treasury operations and require collection of management + yield fees with no other commitments involved. I think even just a couple of well executed proposals would do a lot to give confidence to veBAL holders to make further commitments. Even right now it’s unclear what exactly what we would be committing to.

5 Likes