[RFC] Staking of BAL for Economic and Governance Benefits

Thanks @StefanoBury_LongHash!

A big open question to me is still how this new system would be implemented. This is not something trivial and the current proposal wouldn’t have much details on the tech implementation.

There are two approaches I see to move forward:

1. a vote with the overall idea with as much detail as possible on how the new mechanics would be. I think we have most of what we need for this, but IMO there are still some open questions and we could still highly benefit from interactions with fire Eyes (in case their proposal gets accepted this weekend) and also other experts like Delphi Digital (we asked them if they would have time to help us, I hope they will be able to: they helped Design some cool token mechanisms like Axie’s).

If the community approves this proposal (assuming all specs are clear) then we would have to start looking for a way to implement it. Curve’s veCRV contracts are all in vyper, it’s not a good idea to mix our solidity code base with some vyper. So some serious implementation work would be needed. There are other teams that are interested in this too, so this could be a cross protocol effort.

We would possibly need another vote if implementation learnings/limitations forced us to change some of the specs approved in the proposal.

1. wait for a more detailed vote with all the specs AND implementation details. This has the risk of wasting a lot of time researching the implementation if the community doesn’t want this to happen. It seems to me though from the forum sentiment that this has low risk (my gut feeling is that the proposal will be approved but of course this is just my guess).

I’m fine with either 1) or 2) but am curious to hear more thoughts on this.

2 Likes

There’s no real reason this wouldn’t pass either way I think. My 2 cents is we should proceed with our staking contracts that are almost done so we can move past weekly claim/airdrops for good, then move forward with implementing this proposal.

7 Likes