[BIP-444] Enable 80/20 Weighted Gauge for $OVN [Optimism, Arbitrum, and Base]

My suggestion based on everything discussed above is to come back with a new BIP that provides all this info and is only for a 2% pool on Arbitrum, where you seem to not have any liquidty yet. Then let’s see what the mcap of the token and fees on the pool looks like and consider more gauges in the future.

In the end, if you’re playing a competitive yield game across chains and DEXes, Balancer is not in a good position to compete on BASE until Aura deploys there anyway. I don’t see any need for this gauge right now based on your stated objectives. I highly doubt it will be used.

With that in mind, a 50/50 pool is much more likely to generate decent fee flows from both swaps and staking fees, making future gauges more interesting.

An 80/20 pool would be interesting, if it involved locking it in order to earn some reasonable “real yields” from protocol fees or allows vote on things of economic interest that has a secondary vote market where users can benefit from something other than gauge emissions for their 80/20 position.

In one case, BetSwirl is doing 80/20 without locking, but is still offering ETH yields on 80/20 staking outside the gauge: Staking Program - BetSwirl. I’d love to see a well thought out program/proposal that included these kinds of 80/20 dynamics from overnight.

For the best 80/20 programs, gauge incentives are an afterthought.

1 Like